Friday 7 March 2014

My Past Educational Experience: Behaviourism

Education & Oppression- Banking Concept and Behaviourism
                                     

I was a student that was "filled with the content of the teacher's narration" I was a student that was also expected to "repeat that narration on exams and quizzes". Paulo Freire didn't support or agree with Banking Concept of Education, it was an education theory that was described in his book "Pedagogy of the Oppressed. The banking concept is similar to John Locke's epistemological theory of tabula rasa (blank slates). 
This Collage was created using befunky, the photos that were using are Group Classroom Setting Individual Classroom Setting Teacher in Control  and cover of Paulo Freire's book. 

Tabula Rasa


Behaviourism



My Education Experience

Story:
I always thought learning was where the teacher controlled what I learned because that's the way I was "taught" while growing up. I always remember being in the classroom where the teacher spoke and I "listened". Let's be honest listening involves paying attention to what is being said by the teacher. I remember "hearing" what the teacher but I always remembered zoning out because of the lack of interaction between the teacher and students. My responsibility as a student was to memorize and repeat the content that I was "learned" in class. Do I remember what I learned when I was younger, I would say I do not. 

My passion is working with children but I hated education, that was until I had to read Pedagogy of the Oppressed at York University for Children's Studies. I hated education because I thought it oppressed students. I was wrong because education can be liberating for students but that's in the approach that the teacher takes. 

                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment